To begin with, start feeling welcome already. We want you! We don't care how much basketball you played before, how tall you are or how fit you are. We will teach you all that. Well, all apart from the getting taller bit. What we ARE looking for is a positive attitude and a thirst to improve continuously.
So, here is what you do:
1. Check how old you are. Simply put, if you are thinking of joining an U12s squad on 1st September, you had better not be 12 on the 31st of August. Similarly, if you are thinking of joining an U16s squad on 1st September, you had better not be 16 on the 31st of August of the same year. If in doubt, ask at email@example.com.
2. Check where your squad trains. Now that you know which squad/team you are in, go back to the HOME page and click on the TEAMS option. Then click on the picture of your squad and the practice session times should be there, including the venues.
3. Just turn up for a free first practice session to meet your team mates, your friendly coaches and the even friendlier team manager. One of them will give you all the information you need, including competitions, fees, holidays and more. If you are still apprehensive about it all and you want a more gentle introduction to basketball life, come along to a Youth Wednesday session.
4. Fill in the Registration Form. If you and your parents are happy with what you saw and experienced on your first practice session, go to the JOINING option on the HOME page, fill in and submit the online Registration Form.
5. Set up the monthly payments. You will then receive a welcoming email from your team manager and the club's bank details so that you can set up a standing order with your bank to pay the monthly installment.
6. Receive your shooting shirt. At the next practice session, you will be presented with your free shooting shirt. Yours to keep and wear with pride until you grow out of it!
YOU ARE NOW A BLACKHAWK!
Well, it depends. Read on...
1. Full membership. Go to the HOME page and select the JOINING option. There you will see a table with all the annual costs depending on which squad you are in. The full membership allows you to participate in all practice sessions, games, tournaments, Youth Wednesday and Fun Friday, plus you get your shooting shirt for free. With full membership, your £40 registration fee is a one-off payment for as long as you stay with the Youth section. The subscription fees (paid by bank standing order) are payable every season.
2. Youth Wednesday membership. There are two options here: A) Pay £3 every time you turn up to play - simple as that. B) Become a club member for £40 and attend these sessions for free. This option makes a lot of financial sense up until January as you can score big time. The Youth Wednesday membership is renewable every year.
3. Fun Friday membership. This is free to registered players and their parents. Other non-registered siblings, friends and relatives will have to pay £3 each as and when they turn up to play.
4. Bespoke membership. Very rarely, there is a need for a membership that is tailored to some special circumstances. These can be discussed individually with the Heads of the Boys or Girls sections.
For any queries on this, please email us on firstname.lastname@example.org
Our TOP PRIORITY AS COACHES is to create happy memories for our players. Now, we appreciate that 'happy memories' is a very subjective thing but, as a general rule, players will tell you if they are not happy or you will never see them again.
Players appreciate it a lot when their coaches are both knowledgeable and experienced. That is a no-brainer. For extra credibility points, you may want to throw in a video from Steph Currie's outrageous down-town 3-pointer or the top-10 dunks in the NBA. Or whatever you think your players will appreciate.
Attending camps is an important part of your development as players. This is because, in a very short time frame, we cram a lot of basketball that has to do with individual strength & conditioning, scoring moves, ball-handling, shooting - you name it.
You can now find out when and where this season's camp will be held and register your interest online HERE.
If you are 45 or older and would like to sweat buckets by walking fast or take life a bit easier in a most friendly environment, look no further than the Woking Leisure Centre.
The sessions are held every Monday (7pm-8pm) and are run by a 62-year old, L3 coach carrying a number of sporting injuries. As far as injuries go, he is not dissimilar to the players who attend on a regular basis, featuring knee guards, taped-up ankles, elbow sleeves and more exotic exoskeletons. Some of us also carry a spare tyre for good measure, which we pretend we have lost entirely after taking 4,000 steps in one hour and consequently feel entitled to a well-earned curry afterwards. We do come back next Monday of course, spare tyres and all.
May I also mention that not all of us are former European champions or NBA ring holders but we muddle through as best we can. Oh, and we don't keep score.
Jokes aside, our main objective is to get some aerobic exercise playing the sport we love, without getting injured.
Does this sound like something you would like to do?
Just pay your £3 at Reception, save your receipt to give to the coach and make your way down to join us on the basketball court. We'll be there waiting for you.